Hampton School Archives
Hampton School dates its foundation to 1557 when, thanks to a bequest by Robert Hammond, a prominent local businessman, provision was made for the instruction of local children by the Vicar of St Mary’s, Hampton upon Thames.
View of a case in the School Museum. The Clock ‘Old Yellow Face’ was given to the School by William Jackson Esq., Chairman of the Trustees of Hampton Free School in the early 19th Century. We are grateful to Old Hamptonians and their families for donating some of the other objects on display. Donations in line with the accessions policy are always very welcome
The School Archives are the guardian of its collective memory, aiming to preserve and develop, to the best possible professional standards, a collection of material relating to the history of Hampton School both as an educational institution and to the School’s position within the local community.
Approaches to the Archives should in the first instance always be made in writing to Dr Tim Leary, either by e-mail >> T.Leary@Hamptonschool.org.uk or letter, addressed to him at the School. The Archives’ Access and Accessions policies are linked below. For further information on the history of the School see >> Literature on the History of Hampton School
>> A Brief History of Hampton School
>> Former Headmasters
>> Notable Old Hamptonians
>> Governors' Minute Book, 1792-1834
>> The Hampton Free School Annexe at Hampton Wick
>> 1788 Fee Book Index
>> School Song >> MP3 Recording
Archives Administration Links
Restoration work on the mediaeval masonry recovered from St Mary’s, Hampton, adjacent to which Hampton School was originally sited